2011-01-03

New Year, No Radio [And a DNS troubleshooting included too]

So I went on break at the end of the year, and when I come back few of my Internet radio stations are working or even exist it would seem.

Norway's NRK seems to have dropped their ogg streams for MP3 ones (this looks like it happened sometime late last month before I went on break). So most of my channels are now giving me the "Searching for MP3 plugin" which they won't find unless I get an updated fluendo software package.

But worst of all audio-ogg.ibiblio.org was "gone". Not even 404, it is

$ host audio-ogg.ibiblio.org
Host audio-ogg.ibiblio.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

This however turned out to be bad DNS. [Every couple of lookups showed a NXDOMAIN and I had filled the negative cache with requests :)]. So how to track it down.

[ssmoogen@ponyo ~]$ dig +trace audio-ogg.ibiblio.org
....
;; Received 441 bytes from 192.112.36.4#53(g.root-servers.net) in 74 ms

ibiblio.org.            172800  IN      NS      ns.unc.edu.
ibiblio.org.            172800  IN      NS      ns2.unc.edu.
;; Received 81 bytes from 199.19.54.1#53(b0.org.afilias-nst.org) in 95 ms

audio-ogg.ibiblio.org.  86400   IN      CNAME   sopwith.metalab.unc.edu.
sopwith.metalab.unc.edu. 600    IN      A       152.46.7.128
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      ns.unc.edu.
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      dfranklindns.its.unc.edu.
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      ns1.int.ibiblio.org.
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      dmanningdns.its.unc.edu.
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      fasterpass.net.unc.edu.
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      ns2.unc.edu.
;; Received 315 bytes from 152.2.21.1#53(ns.unc.edu) in 90 ms

I used to have a shell snippet that would take that "IN NS" section and query by each to show which ones weren't working.. but I lost it during a bad set of backups and never rewrote it. So I go by hand. We end up with 3 bad DNS servers responding with no sopwith.metalab.unc.edu or 50% of the time getting no WCPE.

metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      dfranklindns.its.unc.edu.
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      ns1.int.ibiblio.org.
metalab.unc.edu.        600     IN      NS      dmanningdns.its.unc.edu.

Well off to let ibiblio people know but no idea about NRK. [I will miss Super.. I was beginning to learn some Norwegian I think.]

No comments: