2018-03-15

Please end Daylight Savings Time

This was going to be my 3rd article this week about something EPEL related, but I am having a hard time stringing any words together coherently. The following instead boiled out and I believe I have removed the profanity that leaked in.

So I like millions of other Americans (except those people blessed to be living in Arizona and Hawaii) are going through the week long jetlag when Daylight Savings Time starts. For the last 11? years the US has had DST start 2 weeks earlier than the rest of countries which observe this monstrosity, I think to show the rest of the  why it is a bad idea.  No one seems to learn and instead try to make it longer and longer.

I understand why it was begun during World War I in order to make electricity costs for lighting cheaper in factories. It just isn't solving that problem anymore. Instead I spend a week not really awake during the day, and for some reason as I get older not able to sleep at all during the night. And I get crankier and more sarcastic by the day. Finally sometime next Monday, I will conk out for 12-14 hours and be alright again. I would like to say I am anomaly, but this seems to happen to a lot of people around the world with higher numbers of heart attacks, strokes and accidents during the month of time changes.

So please, next time this comes up with your government (be it the EU, US, Canada Parliament, etc) write to your representatives that this needs to end. [For a fun read, the Wikipedia articles on various forms of daylight savings cover the political philandering to pay for this.]

Thank you for your patience while I whine about having only the lack of sleep when there are a hell of a lot worse things going on in the world.

No comments: