2009-11-15

Thinkpad+F12beta->Rawhide+Avocent

Hurray! Red Hat Helpdesk was great and got me a replacement disk drive. I got it working and reinstalled the system as best I could with F12 and noticed a lot of neat stuff.

  1. X11 acts different from F11. If I boot the Thinkpad in the docking station, I get 800x600 in both monitors through the Avocent. If I book the Thinkpad out of the docking station, the laptop screen comes up as 1680x1050. If I plug the laptop back into the docking station, the VGA shows up for a short while at 800x600 and then goes away. And if I change channels in the Switchview, I may lose both X sessions :). However, I am not getting a kernel oops anymore, so I can close a bug.
  2. Everytime I log in, I get a message that bluetooth may not be available.

    org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.271 was not provided by any .service files

    You might not be able to connect to the Bluetooth network via this machine

    This is new so I am not sure what is causing it. The name :1.XXX changes each time I reboot. The desktop does not have bluetooth so I expected it.. however the laptop does have bluetooth and the little widgets at the top say its available. This will be a fun one to play with.
  3. Printing needed an extra package. My old Brother printer needed foomatic-db-ppds installed to be seen. Not sure why gutenprint doesn't pull it in, but hey thats life on the RC trail.
I will also reinstall to F12 when it comes out on Tuesday so that I can see if my problems come from living on rawhide, if its something that is endemic to my network, or just something everyone will have to live with for a while.

Edited To Add (2009-11-15T16:30-0700): Looking in my dmesg logs I noticed a long string of

DRHD: handling fault status reg 3
DMAR:[DMA Read] Request device [00:1b.0] fault addr 0
DMAR:[fault reason 06] PTE Read access is not set


I wonder if thats related to the video issues as they seemed to have occured when I plugged the laptop back into the docking thing.

No comments: