Next, the movie was pretty much written via the Summer Blockbuster Committee.
- Loser Boy (Shia LaBeouf) who might become a Man, Check.
- Large explosions, Check.
- Not-so-subliminal political and moral comments, Check.
- Girl with a past (Megan Fox) who falls for Loser Boy even when the car is a better boyfriend, Check.
- Every other scene being a short comedy skit with teen actors we are trying to groom for the next 3 years of movies, Check.
- Standard stereotypes of bit characters who are not seen 20 minutes after introduction. Check.
- Government conspiracy group that couldnt do a competent action throughout the movie. Check.
- Horrible gobbledy gook science that was passe when War Games came out. Check.
I will give the movie an A for giving me the most disturbing scene I have seen in a PG-13 movie.. and probably why the movie got a PG-13 over a PG. The story is a boy gets car, boy gets girl, boy learns that girl has a juvie record, boy loses girl to car, and the boy gets girl back in the end (for some reason.. honest honey.. stick to the car!). So for our "Boy becomes man and gets reward from the maiden" checkmark we have the boy and girl making out ONTOP of the transformer car, WITH the rest of the Autobots looking on. I was expecting to hear comments from rachet on "Boy, her pheremones shot up when you touched her there.. please do so again so that I can confirm my analysis." I don't know but it was like watching someone makeout while laying ontop of their brother.
Finally, I had a hard time not comparing the movie to Independance Day (and finding Independance Day coming out on top.) I kept coming up with ways that I would have loved to rewrite/redirect the movie to make it a bit better here, a different point.
The best acting/storylines in the movie to me were the US Soldiers and Mikaela Banes (Girl with past). I still believe she should have dumped the boy and stuck with Bumblebee versus 'just' dating the boy (Oh I said that before didnt' I?) I ended up with a complete rewrite in my head with the Decepticons coming after the two groups because one had a clue to the Cube, and the other a clue to where Megatron was. Cut the cast in 1/3 so there was a lot more screen time and still have a short amount of robot time because CGI that good costs money. Oh well.. when I take a screen writing class next year.. I will use that as my basis (GI Joe Meets the Transformers!)